Monitoring Distributed Resource

Chris Beattie cbeattie at geninfo.com
Thu Aug 9 17:00:38 CEST 2012

On 8/8/2012 5:57 PM, Andreas M. Iwanowski wrote:
> So as I understand, if I define a parent<->child relationship between
> the VPN services (or core gateways) on the parent side and the remote
> gateway on the other side, the remote gateway will be checked (and we
> notified) as long as one core gateway is online?

This is how I picture your setup:

         core_gw_1
Nagios-<         >-remote_gw-remote_host
         core_gw_2

If you put "parents	core_gw_1,core_gw_2" in remote_gw's host
definition and "parents	remote_gw" in the remote_host's definition, then
as long as Nagios thinks either core_gw is up, it should continue
checking remote_gw and remote_host behind it.

> And since the remote hosts all depend on the remote gateway, they should
> inherit that behavior. Correct?

When you say "depend", do you mean a host dependency as in you've got a
"define hostdependency {..." somewhere?  That's more advanced than what
I'm talking about, and those dependencies are NOT inherited.  You'd have
to define one for every host.

Defining parent/child relationships is a simple way to describe to
Nagios the network's layout, specifically for determining if a host can
be reached.  If remote_host_1's parent is remote_gw and you copy
remote_host_1 when you add remote_host_2, then remote_host_2 will also
have remote_gw as a parent.

> I don't think the check_cluster would work since the host services are
> checked via nrpe running custom php monitoring scripts on the machines,
> but I'll check it out tomorrow at the office anyways.

Check_cluster is a meta-check.  It doesn't perform the component service
or host checks itself.  Instead, it examines the results of the checks
that Nagios is already performing.  Now that I think about it some more,
it's probably overkill for this case.

--
-Chris

Nothing in this message is intended to make or accept an offer or to form a contract, except that an attachment that is an image of a contract bearing the signature of an officer of our company may be or become a contract. This message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. It may contain information that is non-public, proprietary, privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law or may constitute as attorney work product. If you are not the intended recipient, we hereby notify you that any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by telephone and delete this message immediately.

Thank you.