Service notifications to be sent only to failed host's contacts

Bernardo Cabezas Serra bcabezas at apsl.net
Tue Sep 27 12:54:50 CEST 2011

Hello,

I have a nagios3 configuration with services defined one time and shared
between hosts. One service belongs to some host-groups.

My question is about notifications: Which is the correct way to achieve
that a service is notified only to the contacts of the host on which
sercice has failed??

i.e:
1. I have service HTTP, used by host A and host B.
2. I want service HTTP to be notified to contat group A-contacts when
HTTP fails on host A
3. I want service HTTP to be notified to contact group B-contacts when
service HTTP fails on host B

Whith default configuration, service is only notified to service's
contact_groups. So case 2 and 3 would be notified to same contacts.

I have found only these solutions:

1. Create two separate services: HTTPA for Host A, and HTTPB for host B.
This way each sercvice would have its contact_groups.

2. Create service escalations. This way I have to write a service
scalation for each service and host.

But these two ways means to write lots of configuration entries, and
duplicated information. Maybe the better way is to redefine services
using service templates...

So my question is if there is a better way to filter notifications to
host contacts of the host on which the service has failed.

Thanks in advance

--
Bernardo Cabezas Serra
APSL - http://apsl.net