perfdata-file not working the same since upgrade from 3.0.2 to 3.3.1

Michael Friedrich michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at
Tue Sep 6 19:01:40 CEST 2011

On 06.09.2011 18:36, Joe Hoot wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently upgraded from Nagios Core 3.0.2 to 3.3.1.  Once upgraded, I noticed that my nagiosgraph wasn't graphing data from some custom checks that I wrote.  After further investigation, it turns out that nagiosgraph isn't seeing of the output from my check commands.  This information used to go to my service_perfdata_file.
>
> I have the following template setup:
>
> service_perfdata_file_template=$LASTSERVICECHECK$||$HOSTNAME$||$SERVICEDESC$||$SERVICEOUTPUT$||$SERVICEPERFDATA$
>

> And that has worked just fine for nagiosgraph to pull that information and parse it in order to fill rrd data.  But now that I've upgraded to 3.3.1, I don't appear to be seeing any of my custom commands (ones that don't have perfdata) in that file.  And upon investigating more, if I include perfdata in my custom commands, it sends to that perfdata_file just fine.  but if the performance data isn't there, it doesn't show up in that file.

nagios 3.3.1 does not process empty perfdata macros anymore which causes
those results not to be put onto the perfdata channel. so all your
plugins not returning perfdata won't even be put over there where
nagiosgraph and other addons might calculate their perfdata from the
output themselves.

> Is this a bug?

i consider it a bug as it breaks compatibility. previous discussions on
nagios-* mailinglists can be found in the archive. dunno when this will
get fixed.

http://www.mail-archive.com/nagios-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg36537.html
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.network.nagios.devel/8128

i'd suggest downgrading onto 3.2.3 and wait for a properly tested 3.3.x
release.

kind regards,
Michael

--