Question about Nagios Features

Mike Lindsey mike-nagios at 5dninja.net
Fri Oct 28 05:30:19 CEST 2011

Short answer:  Yes.

Medium answer: The free version can provide all of this, but it takes
some work to get what you want.  The paid version will give you a lot
more of this right out of the door.

Long answer: Go to nagios.org, read the docs, play with the demo,
download the software.  Install it somewhere, play with it for a day.
Then go hit Nagios Exchange and download some addons that fix whatever
you think doesn't work quite the way you want.  It sounds like you're
going to be monitoring a complex environment.  That means that your
monitoring environment is going to be complex as well - at my work we
monitor over a hundred discrete host profiles on a vast (though still
incredibly small in comparison to some other installations) with some
shared monitoring, but a lot of unique custom monitoring that performs
deep application health checks on custom apps.

You get what you put out.  In a large environment you can put out half a
million dollars a year in licensing and support, and potentially
millions in professional services dollars, getting something that you
might not understand - tying you and your business to an external org
through a hefty financial leash.  Alternately, you can download some
free software (or pay an entirely reasonable sum for a better version
and professional support) and put some effort into learning the tool,
resulting in a monitoring environment that does everything you want it
to, that you understand in and out, and hopefully the adoration of
management -and- your operations teams.

--
Mike Lindsey