check_mssql_health connection problem

mail at catsnest.co.uk mail at catsnest.co.uk
Tue Oct 25 17:00:15 CEST 2011

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 6:27 PM, Kaplan, Andrew H.
<AHKAPLAN at partners.org> wrote:
> Hi there --
>
> I have completed the installation of the check_mssql_health plugin onto a
> Nagios 3.2.3 64-bit server running on the CentOS 6.0 distribution.
>
> When I try to connect to a remote server running MSSQL Server 2008 R2, the
> following command syntaxes are used:
>
> ./check_mssql_health --server=<fully qualfified domain name>
> --username=<username> --password=<password> --mode=connection-time
>
> ./check_mssql_health --hostname=<fully qualfified domain name>
> --username=<username> --password=<password> --mode=connection-time
>
> The error message that I am receiving is the following:
>
> CRITICAL - cannot connect to <fully qualified domain name>. DBI
> connect(';server=<fully qualified domain name>',<username>',...) failed:
>
> OpenClient message: LAYER = (0) ORIGIN = (0) SEVERITY = (78) NUMBER = (41)
> Server <fully qualified domain name>, database
> Message String: Server is unavailable or does not exist.
>  at ./check_mssql_health line 2175
>
> I have confirmed the hostname of the SQL server, as well as username and
> password to access the database. The syntax for the username
>
> was either <username> or <domainname>\username during the testing. The port
> of the server is the default port which, if I am not mistaken,
>
> is port 1433.
>
> I have tried several sql modes with the same error message appearing each
> time. Can someone lend a hand here?

Sorry if you have done this already...
I would suggest some basics first, eg from the nagios server can you
do things such as:

# dig <fully qualified domain name>                 #to check the
nagios server can do the dns lookup
# ping <fully qualified domain name>               # to check that routing works
# telnet <fully qualified domain name> 1433     # to check that
"firewall" / "routing" work.

If that is all ok, maybe try quoting the username / pw

--
Ritchie