nagios timeout checks

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Fri Nov 11 17:43:43 CET 2011

On 11 November 2011 16:11, Gustavo <g.machado1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> hello,
> this is my first email....
> I've just installed nagios 3.2.3
> And i would like to know if is there a way to configurate nagios to send time-out cheks to other group of users.
> The problem is that if some times the monitoring service works fine... but once or twice a day it does time out exception.
> Can i config a way to if the monitoring works fine send normally the email, if it happends a time out exception send this erro for me to see what happends.
>

> thakou in advanced and sorry for my bad english,  hope you undarstand   :)

If the timeout errors result in an UNKNOWN state, then you can
configure your ordinary users (for example) to receive only WARNING,
CRITICAL and RECOVERY notifications, but your Nagios administrator
users only to receive UNKNOWN and FLAPPING notifications.  That is set
for all notifications for that contact though.

For example:

define contact {
  contact_name  luciano_lanza
  alias                ordinary user Luciano Lanza
  host_notification_options  d,r
  service_notification_options  w,c,r
  email  llanza at hotmael.com
  }

define contact {
  contact_name  gustavo_machado
  alias                 Nagios Admin G. Machado
  host_notification_options  u,f
  service_notification_options  u,f
  email  gmachado at hotmael.com
  }

Note that the check_nt plugin will only result in UNKNOWN on timeout
if you specify the "-u" or "--unknown-timeout" option.

Unfortunately some other plugins do set status to UNKNOWN on timeout
but others don't.

With some checks, it helps to set max_check_attempts to 3 or more so
that if the plugin times out only once or twice then Nagios will not
send a notification.

Cheers, and welcome!

Jim