Scheduling check for next week in logs

Julian_Grunnell at tdwh.co.uk Julian_Grunnell at tdwh.co.uk
Tue Nov 8 11:10:21 CET 2011

Hi - hope someone can clarify if this is a bug or not, I'm running Nagios
3.2.3 on SuSE, monitoring over 100 hosts and almost 1000 checks. I have a
varied number of time periods defined simply because some hosts / services
are offline or don't actually run 24x7 so are not neededto be alerted on.

However I have one specific group of servers that use a specific time
period and they continually log this:

[Mon Nov  7 21:30:00 2011] Warning: Check of service 'RDP 3389' on host
'TDUKSQLT3' could not be rescheduled properly.  Scheduling check for next
week...
[Mon Nov  7 21:30:00 2011] Warning: Check of service 'RDP 3389' on host
'TDUKVIDC01' could not be rescheduled properly.  Scheduling check for next
week...
[Mon Nov  7 21:30:00 2011] Warning: Check of service 'TCP 1352' on host
'TDUKAPPS22' could not be rescheduled properly.  Scheduling check for next
week...
[Mon Nov  7 21:30:00 2011] Warning: Check of service 'TCP 1352' on host
'TDUKAPPS20' could not be rescheduled properly.  Scheduling check for next
week...
[Mon Nov  7 23:46:00 2011] Warning: Check of service 'DEAL SERVER SERVICE
TCP 4099' on host 'TDUKUBS01' could not be rescheduled properly.
Scheduling check for next week...
etc.

These last entries all appeared last night after I'd manully "Re-scheduled
the next check of this service" via the GUI in the afternoon.

The time period these servers use is defined as:

define timeperiod{
        timeperiod_name vmguesthours
        alias           VMWare Guest OS Hours
        monday          21:30-06:30
        tuesday         21:30-06:30
        wednesday       21:30-06:30
        thursday        21:30-06:30
        friday          21:30-06:30
        saturday        21:30-06:30
        sunday          21:30-06:30
        }

There's nothing unusual about the hosts defined and the templates used,
but below is an example of one anyway.

define host{
        use                     unix_host_template      ; Name of host
template to use
        icon_image              win40.jpg
        host_name               TDUKSQLT3
        address                 192.168.75.138
        alias                   TDUKSQLT3 192.168.75.138
        }

define service{
        use                     remote-service
        hostgroup_name          vmwarehosts
        service_description     RDP 3389
        contact_groups          dtns-admins24x7,intel-support
        check_period            vmguesthours
        check_command           check_tcp!3389
}

define host{
        notification_options            d,u,r
        max_check_attempts              3
        check_interval                  1
        active_checks_enabled           1
        notification_period             24x7
        name                            unix_host_template      ; Template
shared by hosts
        notifications_enabled           1
        check_command                   check_fping
        contact_groups                  unix-admins-24x7
        register                        0
}

I've had a look around for this and its been reported before here -
http://tracker.nagios.org/view.php?id=31 - but it's not clear if this is
meant to be resoloved or not? For me it certainly isn't.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Julian.

Julian Grunnell | Unix Analyst, Infrastructure | TD Waterhouse
T: +44 (0) 113 346 2824 | M: +44 (0) 7889 352527

Consider the environment: Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.

Confidentiality:  This email and its attachments are intended for the above named only and may be confidential.  If they have come to you in error you must take no action based on them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone; please reply to this email and highlight the error.

Viruses:  Although we have taken steps to ensure that this email and attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good computing practice the recipient should ensure that they are actually virus-free.

Brokerage services provided by TD Waterhouse Investor Services (Europe) Limited (a subsidiary of The Toronto-Dominion Bank).  Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority (FSA registered number 141282), member of the London Stock Exchange and the PLUS market. Incorporated in England and Wales under registration number 2101863.  Registered office: Exchange Court, Duncombe Street, Leeds LS1 4AX. Banking services provided by TD Waterhouse Bank N.V. authorised and regulated by De Nederlandsche Bank and the Financial Services Authority for UK Business (FSA registered number 216791).  Incorporated in the Netherlands and registered as a branch in England and Wales under branch registration number BR006780.