check_openmanage on CentOS 5.6 Hosts

Trond Hasle Amundsen t.h.amundsen at usit.uio.no
Sat Nov 5 15:26:23 CET 2011

the entrox <entrox at stoleyour.com> writes:

> i've been using the check_openmanage script to monitor about two dozens of dell
> servers without a hitch (all Windows based) and we just set up about 15 or so
> new servers but this time running CentOS, i of course installed the OMSA via
> Dell's repository and also enabled SNMP but i cant seem to get the command to
> work on those hosts.
>
> i am trying to run the debug command to look at the entire output like this:
>
> [root at MONITOR02 plugins]# ./check_openmanage -H HOSTIP -C COMMUNITY -d
> ERROR: (SNMP) OpenManage is not installed or is not working correctly

This error means that the SNMP service on the monitored host is working
and we get a reply, but the OIDs for OMSA are not present.

> i of course checked where the omreport binary was at and its where the script
> is looking for it:
>
> [root at mvarutestvmbase01 ~]# find / -name omreport
> /opt/dell/srvadmin/sbin/omreport
> /opt/dell/srvadmin/bin/omreport
> [root at mvarutestvmbase01 ~]#

When using SNMP, the plugin doesn't utilize the omreport binary in any
way. It doesn't care where it is installed. BTW, the above location is
correct and is the default.

> just to double check i went ahead and looked if the OMSA was working, i went
> via web and the console shows up no problem at all, if i authenticate it shows
> all the information that it should be showing, i also restarted all the
> services on the OMSA just to see if something was up but nothing, it still
> claims its not working:
>
> http://pics.entrox.me/983ygh426g.png

This is interesting. The SNMP service wasn't started. You should see
something like this:

  Starting dsm_sa_snmpd:                                     [  OK  ]

The dsm_sa_snmpd service is started by /etc/init.d/dataeng. This script
is also responsible for starting other components such as
dsm_sa_datamgrd, and that seems to work fine.

You should also see dsm_sa_snmpd in the process list if it's running:

  # ps axww | grep dsm_sa_snmpd
   4967 ?        Ssl    0:00 /opt/dell/srvadmin/sbin/dsm_sa_snmpd

>From what I can gather from the dataeng init script, it won't start
dsm_sa_snmpd if this file exists:

  /opt/dell/srvadmin/var/lib/srvadmin-deng/dcsnmp.off

If it exists on your system, try removing it and restart OMSA.

Also verify that your /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf contains the following at the
very end:

  # Allow Systems Management Data Engine SNMP to connect to snmpd using SMUX
  smuxpeer .1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10892.1

This should have been added by OMSA at install time.

> i also read on the man page of the script (http://folk.uio.no/trondham/software
> /check_openmanage.html) that i could use the --omreport option but no dice with
> that, even trying the bin and sbin omreport binary file i got the exact same
> message:

This option allows you to specify the location of the omreport
command. It has no effect when using SNMP, and is only really usable on
Windows systems, where OMSA can be installed on drives other than C:.

Regards,
--
Trond H. Amundsen <t.h.amundsen at usit.uio.no>
Center for Information Technology Services, University of Oslo