Notification after Acknowledgment

Deborah Martin Deborah.Martin at kognitio.com
Fri May 13 09:54:04 CEST 2011

Andre,

I wouldn't acknowledge it unless you plan to actually do something about it.

I use escalations which instigate callouts to engineers. When the oncall engineer acks an alert it means they are investigating. It would be pointless surely to ack something which you aren't going to do anything about.

Also, think about why you'd ack at 80% if it's just a warning. We have thresholds of 85% for disk usage warnings but in all honesty it's there as exactly that - a warning. We don't send notifications for warnings on disk usage. We just monitor via the web interface. Notifications are sent on critical alerts because that is the time when action needs to be taken and users need to pay attention.

But this is all based on our requirements rather than yours so this is just my tuppence worth!

Regards,
Deborah