Question on encryption for send_nsca

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Thu Mar 31 14:02:24 CEST 2011

On 23 March 2011 23:51, Steve F <steve_f60 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I have a small test Nagios 3.2 environment on a Suse platform ( 11 & 10
> boxes )and was wondering about the encryption methods used.
>
> I am working fine with no encryption configured on host or central server. I
> am getting all of the checks on the console.  Once I set it to any value
> other than 0 on both the server & host, I no longer get anything on the
> central server.  I've tried using the simple XOR and 3DES & DES
>
> If I send a test job from the command line as per the instructions, with no
> encryption set ( not even simple XOR ) I see the reply in the nagios.log
> file on the Nagios server.  If I set the encryption on both & send the test
> job again,( restarting nagios on both)  it says 1 packet was sent
> successfully but nothing shows up on the central server.
>
> I am still learning my way thru Suse & Nagios so not sure if the encryption
> process is part of the send_nsca or Suse.  I don't know what encryption is
> installed on the suse boxes or even how to check.
>
> Is there a way to test or check what encryption(s) are installed on the
> boxes?
>
> Since this is ultimately a totally private network, can I use the value of 0
> for no encryption ?  I know the cfg file explicitly says its not recommended

I was using LOKI97 (can't remember why now) for Unix systems but then
found I couldn't get it working for Windows systems and ended up
configuring a separate nsca daemon to receive checks from Windows
servers with XOR encryption.

Personally unless you're exposed to the outside world or have any
checks which transfer passwords or other sensitive information over
nsca I wouldn't worry about encryption - it's probably more hassle
than it's worth.

hth,

Jim