Nagios XI question

Tony Yarusso tyarusso at nagios.com
Tue Mar 22 05:56:33 CET 2011

On Mon, 2011-03-21 at 09:01 -0700, khurram aziz wrote:
> just one question for You.. Why would you pay for Nagios XI when you
> can use the same func for free with Nagios+pnp4nagios

There's a bit more too it than that.  Nagios XI does include a number of
free projects packaged together, including Nagios Core, pnp4nagios,
NagiosQL, and MRTG, and for some people there's value in having that
pre-packaged, but that's not the prime selling point.  The bigger issues
are things like the configuration wizards, easier configuration of
contacts and contact methods, the ability to build custom dashboards,
autodiscovery, expanded management-friendly reporting and
visualizations, and some other pre-built integration pieces.

On a related note though, we are working on something to better
demonstrate the capabilities of the free components like pnp4nagios, so
people can see what's possible with each and find out about some of the
cool community projects that are out there.  You should see more about
that in our newsletter and on Twitter soon.

--
Tony Yarusso
Technical Team
Email:  tyarusso at nagios.com