Problem: Nagios service check retry interval shorted than configured.

Paul M. Dubuc work at paul.dubuc.org
Fri Mar 11 15:41:47 CET 2011

Jelle Smet wrote:
>> Why is there only 10 seconds between these pairs of checks?  Sometimes I see a
>> 20 or 30 second difference sometimes 60 seconds.  Most of them are less than
>> 30 seconds.  It's very inconsistent.  Any idea what could be causing this?
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> I have been looking into this myself the last couple of days.
>
> Nagios does "on demand" host checks, the reason for this is explained here
> http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/hostchecks.html
> It basically means Nagios executes the host check when it thinks it needs to do
> so.
>
> You could alter the cached host check horizon
> (http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/cachedchecks.html) so Nagios does "on
> demand" checks less frequent and uses older host results instead.
>
> What I'm personally wondering is whether "on demand" checks should count as
> retries?  Because this is the case at the moment and it makes the parameter
> 'retry_interval' virtually useless.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Jelle Smet
> http://www.smetj.net

Thanks, I think I understand how this works.  But I'm having this problem with
service checks, not host checks.  I do have the concurrent service check limit
set to 30 and I wonder if that is affecting the scheduling of service check
retries but, if so, I would think it would make the retry interval longer, not
shorter than specified.  Does anyone know if service check retries are subject
to the concurrency limit?

Paul Dubuc