Problem: Nagios service check retry interval shorted than configured.

Jelle Smet nagios at smetj.net
Fri Mar 11 10:20:04 CET 2011

> Why is there only 10 seconds between these pairs of checks?  Sometimes I see a
> 20 or 30 second difference sometimes 60 seconds.  Most of them are less than
> 30 seconds.  It's very inconsistent.  Any idea what could be causing this?

Hi Paul,

I have been looking into this myself the last couple of days.

Nagios does "on demand" host checks, the reason for this is explained here
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/hostchecks.html
It basically means Nagios executes the host check when it thinks it needs to do
so.

You could alter the cached host check horizon
(http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/cachedchecks.html) so Nagios does "on
demand" checks less frequent and uses older host results instead.

What I'm personally wondering is whether "on demand" checks should count as
retries?  Because this is the case at the moment and it makes the parameter
'retry_interval' virtually useless.

Hope this helps,

Jelle Smet
http://www.smetj.net