A question on nagios group nagcmd

Marc Powell lists at xodus.org
Thu Mar 10 23:58:57 CET 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 1:19 PM, steve f <a31modela at hotmail.com> wrote:

My question is, the docs say to create the group nagcmd and add nagios &
> wwwrun to the group in order to allow external commands to be submitted thru
> the web interface.
>
> What external commands are we talking about here?  Are we talking about the
> service commands from the check screen ( disable checks, schedule downtime,
> etc)  .

Yes, you will not be able to use those. It's a straightforward unix
permissions thing.

Is is safe to assume that if wwwrun was not in the nagcmd group baaadddd
> things will happen in the web console?  Not anywhere near my system so I
> cant try to see what would happen.

I wouldn't say entirely bad. You'll have a complete view-only interface; you
just won't be able to schedule downtime, etc...

Any thoughts before I rewrite the central password system to put both a
> regular user & a daemon user in the same file  ?

Can you manually edit the group file or will that bork your system? You
*could* chmod 777 the command pipe but since it gets removed and recreated
every restart, you'd want to make that part of the init script.

--
Marc