A question on nagios group nagcmd

steve f a31modela at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 10 22:19:43 CET 2011

I am finally getting my production nagios build.

One of our production configurations in Linux is a central password system.  no accounts can be created locally.  They have to be build in the cent pword and are created on the box locally.

Due to the way the system is build, the wwwrun & nagios accounts are in 2 different files on the cent pword system.  As such, the system will not allow 2 accounts from different files to be in the same group.

My question is, the docs say to create the group nagcmd and add nagios & wwwrun to the group in order to allow external commands to be submitted thru the web interface.

What external commands are we talking about here?  Are we talking about the service commands from the check screen ( disable checks, schedule downtime, etc)  .

Is is safe to assume that if wwwrun was not in the nagcmd group baaadddd things will happen in the web console?  Not anywhere near my system so I cant try to see what would happen.

Any thoughts before I rewrite the central password system to put both a regular user & a daemon user in the same file  ?

Thanks,

Steve