ServiceGroup Best Practices Question

steve f a31modela at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 10 22:03:23 CET 2011

hello David,

Not saying its the best way but I have a separate file in my objects dir called servicegroup.cfg  where I set up as follows :

define servicegroup{

servicegroup_name       Legacy Checks
alias                   Store Legacy Checks
}

then in my services.cfg file, I have a line added as follows :

define service{
       servicegroups                  Legacy Checks

I have multiple checks that I wanted to group together under a single service group heading.  This is the only (?) way I found to do it.  You can add the members ( hosts)  to the servicegroup file and the checks but I found this way to be easier.

if you create a separate file, dont forget to be sure its identified in your nagios .cfg file.

If anyone has a better way to do this,  would love to hear about it.  This way does work for my config.... your mileage may vary.....

Good Luck,

Steve