Error in performance-data-output

Trond Hasle Amundsen t.h.amundsen at usit.uio.no
Mon Mar 7 16:00:06 CET 2011

"Lichterfeld, Dirk" <Dirk.Lichterfeld at enercity.de> writes:

> I compare the response time of the nagios check and I see, that the DELL
> Server R710 needs over 10 seconds to answer. Another server (DELL R310)
> answer in 8 seconds (the check of this server is ok.)
>
> The response time depends on various Dell hardware.

Yes, this is expected when using the win32 binary file. It contains a
perl interpreter and is slow to start up and execute. When monitoring
windows machines, SNMP is preferable unless your security policies
prohibits this.

> What I do? I expanded the check-command of the check_openmange from
> "check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -c Check_Openmanage" with the parameter "-t
> 30" to extend the time for this check.

30 seconds is the default timeout for check_openmanage. I would set the
timeout to slightly more than the check_openmanage timeout. If you do
that, you'll get a meaningful error message from check_openmanage
instead of a cryptic one from NSClient++, if check_openmanage times out
for some reason.

Anyway, the '-t 30' parameter to check_nrpe should work...

> Is there another way to set the timeout?

I'm not familiar with NSClient++, perhaps it has its own timeout?

Cheers,
--
Trond H. Amundsen <t.h.amundsen at usit.uio.no>
Center for Information Technology Services, University of Oslo