Expanding Custom Variables

Mike Lindsey mike-nagios at 5dninja.net
Wed Jun 29 23:56:40 CEST 2011

On 6/29/11 12:18 PM, Stringham, Steven wrote:
 > I am trying to monitor multiple volumes on a NetApp system. The
format of the command requires a
 > hostname:volumename format. I want to reduce my commands/service
definitions to a minimum.  My initial
 > thought was to have a generic service definition, that gets more
specific with a sub definition.  When the
 > command is run, it seems like it is not passing the custom variable,
but rather leaving a single $ behind where
 > the variable ought to be.

I'm not sure that custom macros are evaluated at the command level?
Perhaps set your command_line to pull in the variable from the service:

define service {
     name NA_SnapMirror
     check_command netapp_snapmirror!$_SERVICEnavolume$
         use  GenericService_Core
     normal_check_interval 1000
     max_check_attempts 300
     register 0
     contact_groups CoreServers
}

define service {
     use NA_SnapMirror
     _navolume myvolumename
     service_description SnapMirror_groups
     hosts myhostname
}

define command {
     command_name  netapp_snapmirror
     command_line $USER1$/check_naf.py -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -C $USER8$
snapmirror,$HOSTNAME$:$ARG1$,$USER25$
}

Alternately, if you have enable_environment_macros=1 in nagios.cfg, you
could instead put "$NAGIOS__SERVICEnavolume" and pass the reference to
the script.

One of the two should work for you.  If not, then I'd recommend
restarting in debug mode, debug_level=18 will get you debug information
about both the configuration load process, and the service check
execution, so you should be able to figure out the problem - just fire
it up in a reduced config set, so you only have this in there and don't
get spammed by normal operations.

What version, btw?

--
Mike Lindsey