A question on status.cgi and resources

steve f a31modela at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 29 14:34:34 CEST 2011

I am working on a pretty large distributed Nagios core deployment and have a question regarding resources.

It appears that almost every morning @ about 7:20 am, my cpu usage goes from about 4% to about 25-40% .  It will do this for a few hours and then go back to 4%.

It appears to me that the issue is with wwwrun running status.cgi.  I was wondering what would be going on during the morning at about the same time every day  as opposed to 24hrs / day.  I was looking for some kind of maintenance it could be doing or something but am not finding anything.

I know there are no consoles open, 99.5 % of the checks the core server is processing are remote checks.

I know my environment will require multiple core servers ( 700 remote sites,  15 clients / site , 20 +/- checks per client ) but have been working all along to tune the servers for the best efficiency.

Are there any tuning parameters for status.cgi??

Thanks,

Steve