"Return code of 141 is out of bounds" Error in Nagios 3.2.3

Rai Ricafrente maillist at ricafrente.com
Mon Jun 20 03:24:31 CEST 2011

Hi everyone,

I just installed a fresh Nagios v3.2.3 with about 150 hosts and 600
services. I just noticed from time to time, hosts are throwing out "Return
code of 141 is out of bounds" status every now and then, then it will
eventually go away. I don't know if this has anything to do with the plugin
since the status will return to OK state without intervention, which proves
that the check_icmp plugin works just fine.

I'm confused with this error, and this one did not manifest itself when we
were using Nagios v2. Anyone has the same issue?

Big thanks,

Rai