Nagios Issue of not detecting down/up status of server and delay of mails notifications

Terry Carmen terry at cnysupport.com
Fri Jun 17 18:05:02 CEST 2011

Quoting Manish Kumar <manikumar85 at gmail.com>:

> The problem is that nagios is not able to send e-mail notification as soon
> as any server/service/network device goes down. Some of the e-mails are
> delayed around 12 hours and some are not triggered even, for example if a
> server goes down for around a hour and is up again after that, nagios is not
> able to detect it. I have setup the fedora 14 to use its sendmail sever to
> relay the mails to our corporate smtp sever.

Your complaint is much too general.

You will need to turn on debugging in nagios and examine the debug log to see when the down state is detected and when the alert is generated.

If the alert is being generated but not delivered on time, you'll need to examine your mail server's logs.

If the down-state isn't being detected soon enough, you'll need to determine if it's not being scheduled frequently enough or if your server or network is too overloaded to execute the checks on time.

Terry