Nagios Issue of not detecting down/up status of server and delay of mails notifications

Assaf Flatto nagios at flatto.net
Fri Jun 17 17:59:31 CEST 2011

Manish Kumar wrote:

> Hi Friends,
>
> I have implemented Nagios Core-3.2.3 on Fedora Core 14 and configured
> it for monitoring of around 230 network devices for different services
> like up/down status, uptime, ports link status, similarly configured
> for monitoring around 30 windows servers for different services.
>
> The problem is that nagios is not able to send e-mail notification as
> soon as any server/service/network device goes down. Some of the
> e-mails are delayed around 12 hours and some are not triggered even,
> for example if a server goes down for around a hour and is up again
> after that, nagios is not able to detect it. I have setup the fedora
> 14 to use its sendmail sever to relay the mails to our corporate smtp
> sever.
>
> Is this a valid issue with nagios or is there any way to scale it up.
> How can a network/sever admin can believe on it if this works like this.
>

> --
> Thanks
> Manish Kumar
> http://in.linkedin.com/in/manishkumar85
> <http://cens.cdac.in/>
I can see three factors that may contribute to the problem :
check_interval , notification_interval , enable_notification ( those are
on the nagios application ) .
beside that , are you seeing any mails stuck in the mailq of the
sendmail relay ? are you able to sent any email from that machine at all ?
you are saying nagios is unable to detect the UP/DOWN status of the
nodes/hosts , are there any firewalls along the way? is the routing
table properly setup ? do you allow ICMP  replyies from the nodes ?

Assaf