Checking Status of Exchange 2010 Mailbox Store without check_nt

Terry Carmen terry at cnysupport.com
Thu Jun 16 21:21:15 CEST 2011

Quoting Ryan McHugh <ryan.mchugh at techtell.com>:

> On Thu, 16 Jun 2011, Terry Carmen wrote:
>
>> Quoting Ryan McHugh <ryan.mchugh at techtell.com>:
>>
>>> I have been looking for a way to check the status of the Exchange Mailbox
>>> Store with out using the check_nt daemon.  I do not have the option of
>>> installing anything on the exchange server at this time but can have WMI /
>>> RPC / snmp connections.  Does anyone know of a way to check and see if the
>>> Store is mounted, either directly or indrectly?  I may have access to the
>>> OWA but not POP/IMAP to try a client connect / html parse if there are
>>> tools for that.
>>
>> You can setup auto-reply on a mailbox that lives in the store you're
>> monitoring, send it an email and see if you get back the expected
>> reply.
>>
>> There is so much that can go wrong in Exchange that sending it an
>> actual email and checking to see if you get the expected response is
>> much more reliable than monitoring indirect statistics and settings.
>>
>> Terry
>>

> We already send a message in and have it forwarded back to us.  This
> does not detect a disconnected mailbox store because the queue
> processes the message and drops it back in the outbound queue.  Does
> the auto-responder still work with a disconnected mailbox store?

If the mailbox store is unavailable, the sender should get an NDR, although you would need to verify this, since I haven't tested it.

However, If this isn't the case, send an email that should be delivered. The SMTP protocol requires a reject if the delivery fails, which it must if the mailbox store isn't there.

Terry