Getting null when checking remote load.

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Jun 8 16:47:21 CEST 2011

On 06/08/2011 04:27 PM, Tõnis Trei wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Yeah, i started to look through my explanation and seems i didn't explained
> it good enough while misunderstanding few things myself :)
> So thanks for pointing it out.
>
> I have one sever with address 192.168.0.5 that runs linux, has installed
> munin-node and i want to monitor its load.
> Munin-node has the load plugin.

I assume Munin is some system where "plugin" has a different
meaning than it does in Nagios. Bear in mind that I have no
idea what munin is or what it does.

> Then i have another server with the ip 192.168.0.1 that has installed both
> Nagios and Munin Server.
> Now instead of checking the Munin server for graphs, i want Nagios to
> trigger a plugin that checks the load on the machine.
>
> I even changed few things in config to test, but no luck.
>
> So Nagios has in command.cfg the following def:
> define command{
>          command_name    check_remote_load
>          command_line    /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_munin.pl -H
> $HOSTADDRESS$ -M $ARG1$ -w $ARG2$ -c $ARG3$
> }

Is the script /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_munin.pl located
on 192.168.0.1 or on 192.168.0.5? It should reside on 192.168.0.1,
and the script itself should connect to 192.168.0.1 with the
correct parameters to fetch the data from that particular node.

> And i have specified the following host with the service:
> define host {
>          use             linux-server
>          host_name       Remote_Server
>          address         192.168.0.5
>          alias           RS
>          contacts        admin
> }
>
> define service {
>          use                             generic-service
>          hostgroup_name                  linux-servers
>          service_description             load
>          check_command                   check_remote_load!load!8!10!
>          servicegroups                   +load
>          first_notification_delay        10
>          contact_groups
> }
>
> Munin-node.conf on 192.168.0.5 has the "allow ^192\.168\.0\.1$"
>
> And munin.congf on 192.168.0.1 has the following entry:
> [application;Remote_Server]
>      address 192.168.0.5
>      use_node_name yes
>
> So as i understand nagios should be triggering the check_munin.pl script
> towards the host Remote_Server. Munin node there should return the load
> parameters and nagios will return warning on 8 and critical on 10.
>
> Please correct me if i got something wrong :)

You say "use_node_name" in the munin.conf on 192.168.0.1 but
still connect via ip address. I don't know anything about
Munin, but that seems like one possible source of error if
check_munin.pl expects you to pass it a munin node-name.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.