Service keeps disappearing from .cfg file and other questions (newbie alert!)

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Jun 8 15:43:10 CEST 2011

On 06/08/2011 03:18 PM, Matty Sarro wrote:
> Hey everyone,
> First, I'm new, so please be gentle :)
>
> I have made some recent modifications to our nagios3 files. In
> resource.cfg I added the following macros: $db_name$, $db_user_name$,
> and $db_user_pass$. These seem to be ok.
> I added a service like this:
> define service {
> 	hostgroup_name		mysql-servers
> 	service_description		Mysql FSRW
> 	check_command		check_mysql_FSRW
> 	use				generic-service
> 	notification_interval 		0
> }
>

> And finally I added a command like this:
> define command {
> 	command_name			check_mysql_FSRW
> 	command_line			$USER1$/check_mysql_query -q "SELECT COUNT(*) FROM
> entry WHERE period<DATE_SUB(now(),INTERVAL 2 DAY) AND status_code<2
> AND retries=0 AND type=0" -w0:0 -c10 -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -P 3306 -d
> $db_name$ -u $db_user_name$ -p $db_user_pass$
> }
>
> When I have nagios validate everything, it gives no errors. I then
> restart nagios for the config to take effect, and it comes up. In the
> event log I see some issues with the service (it appears to be trying
> to connect to the mysql servers as user nagios, not the specified
> user). When I then log back into the server and look at my
> services.cfg file, and my commands.cfg file, the entries I added to
> both of them have been removed - like they were never there.

Then perhaps you forgot to save, or someone undid your changes from a
backup, or some other kind of pilot error happened. It's most certainly
not Nagios' fault though, so you're asking in the wrong forum.

> So, I guess I have a few questions.
>
> First, are those entries in the resource.cfg file ok? Does nagios
> support the underscores and longer names? Its easier to understand at
> a glance than $USER3$ $USER4$ and $USER5$.
>
> Second, does the command_line look ok? I'm trying to figure out why it
> isn't using the username and password I'm passing to it.

Not yet, no. It will some day though.

> Finally, why do the command and service keep disappearing out of my
> config file? It's making it a pain to troubleshoot.

Because someone is removing them, or you're forgetting to save them.
Things don't just remove themselves.

> Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ask around if anyone's altering the configuration besides you. Files
really don't just alter themselves. Trust me on this.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.