Allowing unauthenticated access to Nagios from select hosts

up at 3.am up at 3.am
Tue Jul 19 21:35:01 CEST 2011

We use Nagios with normal authentication (the nagios apache config file, much like
.htaccess combined with Nagios's cgi.cfg) and want to allow a few internal hosts
(with RFC1918 addresses) to access nagios withOUT user authentication.  These are
basically large displays with no keyboard input.

Doing the apache config for this was pretty straightforward:

   AuthType Basic
   Require valid-user
   Allow from 192.168.199.99
   Satisfy any

However, although the main Nagios page come up fine, one cannot access any of the
Monitoring links.  You get:

  It appears as though you do not have permission to view information for any of
  the services you requested

Googling for docs on this, I figured the cgi.cfg was the culprit, but there does
not seem to be any way in there to define hosts or IP addresses to give them
unauthenticated access.  We already have this:

  authorized_for_all_services=*
  authorized_for_all_hosts=*

We obviously need to leave authentication/authorization enabled for all other
hosts.  Is there a way around this?

Thanks in advance!