Macro values don't seem to be consistent

Claudio Kuenzler ck at claudiokuenzler.com
Tue Jul 19 14:07:35 CEST 2011

To follow up on this, I have once more this problem (this time with another
server though) and I activated debugging and started to do some deeper
research.

This time the service 'Disk Space /' on *SERVER21* is in state warning. The
host alias for SERVER21 is SERVER21-DEVL.
The notification looks like this though:

*Service: Disk Space /*
* *

*Host: SERVER31-UAT*
* *

*Address: 10.x.x.x*
* *

*State: WARNING*

As you see, the alias for SERVER31 was taken, instead of SERVER21.

Now if I take a look at *var/objects.cache* the correct alias is used:

define host {
        host_name       SERVER21
        alias   SERVER21-DEVL

If I take a look at *var/retention.dat* I see something strange:

host {
host_name=SERVER21
alias=SERVER31-UAT
display_name=SERVER21
Taking a further look at retention.dat reveils, that another host took the
alias for SERVER31-UAT:

host {
host_name=SERVER33
alias=SERVER31-UAT
display_name=SERVER33

I am sure the problem comes from here (retention.dat). But can somebody
explain, how such wrong entries are created in retention.dat ?