different escalation intervals possible?

Michael Barrett loki77 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 18:14:18 CEST 2011

Thanks Assaf.  It's a little complicated, but here's my config for a 'critical service':

### First my escalation definitions:

define serviceescalation {
    name                    page-primary
    first_notification      1
    last_notification       0
    notification_interval   15
    contact_groups          primarypager
    servicegroup_name       critical-services
}

define serviceescalation {
    name                    page-secondary
    first_notification      3
    last_notification       0
    notification_interval   15
    contact_groups          secondarypager
    servicegroup_name       critical-services
}

define serviceescalation {
    name                    email-ops
    first_notification      1
    last_notification       0
    notification_interval   120
    contact_groups          ops-group
    servicegroup_name       critical-services
}

#### Now my contact groups

define contactgroup {
    contactgroup_name   ops-group
    alias               Operations People
}

define contactgroup {
    contactgroup_name   primarypager
    alias               Primary Pager
}

define contactgroup {
    contactgroup_name   secondarypager
    alias               Secondary Pager
}

#### Now a pair of example contacts (and templates) that tie into those groups
define contact {
    name                            generic-contact
    host_notification_period        24x7
    service_notification_period     24x7
    host_notifications_enabled      0
    host_notification_options       d,u,r
    service_notification_options    u,c,w,r
    host_notification_commands      host-notify-by-email
    service_notification_commands   service-notify-by-email
    register                        0
    can_submit_commands             1
}

# pager template
define contact {
    name                            pager-template
    use                             generic-contact
    host_notification_options       d,u
    service_notification_options    u,c
    host_notification_commands      host-notify-by-epager
    service_notification_commands   service-notify-by-epager
    register                        0
}

define contact {
    name            ops-contact
    contactgroups   ops-group
    use             generic-contact
    register        0
}

define contact {
    contact_name    mb
    alias           Michael Barrett
    use             ops-contact
    email           loki77 at gmail.com
}

define contact {
    contact_name    mb-phone
    alias           Mike Phone
    contactgroups   primarypager
    use             pager-template
    email           ########@mms.att.net
}

####  Now the servicegroup for critical-services
define servicegroup {
    servicegroup_name           critical-services
    alias                       Services that should page
}

#### And finally a service that is in critical services (and its template)
define service {
    name                            generic-service
    is_volatile                     0
    check_period                    24x7
    max_check_attempts              3
    normal_check_interval           5
    retry_check_interval            1
    active_checks_enabled           1
    passive_checks_enabled          1
    parallelize_check               0
    obsess_over_service             1
    check_freshness                 0
    notifications_enabled           1
    notification_interval           120
    notification_period             24x7
    notification_options            u,c,w,r
    event_handler_enabled           1
    flap_detection_enabled          1
    process_perf_data               1
    retain_status_information       1
    retain_nonstatus_information    1
    contact_groups                  ops-group
    register                        0
}

define service {
    use                         generic-service
    service_description         puppet last run
    check_command               check_puppet
    hostgroup_name              all_hosts,!virtual-hosts
    servicegroups               critical-services
}

######################################

Let me know if you have any questions, and thanks again!

On Jul 18, 2011, at 2:56 AM, Assaf Flatto wrote:

> Michael Barrett wrote:
>> Hi - I am trying to get alerts for my services to work like this:
>>
>> - all alerts (warning, critical, unknown, and recovery) go to the 'email-ops' contact every 2 hours
>> - on some services (the ones deemed critical) in addition I want them to send an email to the 'primary-pager' contact every 15 minutes
>>
>> I thought I had the configuration setup appropriately for this, but now I'm not sure it's possible without a better understanding of how escalations work (and it may not even be possible then) since I read this about overlapping escalations:
>>
>> "Since it is possible to have overlapping escalation definitions for a particular hostgroup or service, and the fact that a host can be a member of multiple hostgroups, Nagios has to make a decision on what to do as far as the notification interval is concerned when escalation definitions overlap. In any case where there are multiple valid escalation definitions for a particular notification, Nagios will choose the smallest notification interval."
>>
>> Anyway, is there anyway to make that work?  The way its working now is that it seems to email the email-ops list every 15 minutes on critical services, and for email we'd like to get less alerts.
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> --
>> Michael Barrett
>> loki77 at gmail.com
>>
> The short answer is , Yes .
>
> if you share your configuration we might also be able to give tips and
> pointers on what needs to be modified.

Michael Barrett
loki77 at gmail.com