Service dependency

Radu.Popa at technomatic.de Radu.Popa at technomatic.de
Wed Jul 6 09:12:26 CEST 2011

Hello,

I have tried o play a bit with the service dependencies list and defined
the following:

define servicedependency{

        dependent_host_name             WS1
        dependent_service_description   CPU usage,Disk I/O
usage,Individual CPU core usage,Memory usage
        host_name                       WS1
        service_description             PING
        execution_failure_criteria      w,u,c
        notification_failure_criteria   w,u,c

        }

So when the host WS1 is not reachable via PING, other services should not
be checked or notified. Works fine.

Now I did the following using hostgroups

define servicedependency{

        dependent_hostgroup_name             workstations
        dependent_service_description   CPU usage,Disk I/O
usage,Individual CPU core usage,Memory usage
        host_name                       workstations
        service_description             PING
        execution_failure_criteria      w,u,c
        notification_failure_criteria   w,u,c

        }

And it does what I expect it to do, but not what's needed: make each
service on any of the workstations group dependent by any PING service on
any host in the group.

My question is: is there any way to use variables in such a way that the
other services on a host are dependent only on the PING on the same host?:

In a large environment, using the first example and copy paste is really
time consuming.

Thanks!