Monitoring temperatures on Cisco equipment

C. Bensend benny at bennyvision.com
Thu Jan 27 16:26:05 CET 2011

> I think you misunderstand.  Those two plugins return WARNING or CRITICAL
> if
> one of the two things occur:
>
> 1) If the ciscoEnvMonTemperatureState is not "normal".
> 2) If the passed -w and -c values are less
> than ciscoEnvMonTemperatureStatusValue.
>
> What I'm asking is why #2 is _required_.  I can understand it as an
> optional
> check if you want to override the device's defaults, but not as mandatory
> behavior.  Cisco devices are smart and know when they're warm or hot.
>  That's the purpose of the ciscoEnvMonTemperatureState.  I'm just trying
> find out why folks feel that overriding Cisco's defaults is necessary
> behavior.

While I don't have any insider knowledge into *why* it is the way
it is, I'll take a guess - most third-party plugins come into
existence because they satisfied someone's specific needs.  Perhaps
the original author needed to further narrow the range of good-vs-bad,
who knows?

I'd say modify it to your needs.  :)

Benny  (yes, *that* Benny, hi Jeffrey)

--
"Hairy ape nads."        -- Colleen, playing Neverwinter Nights