Monitoring temperatures on Cisco equipment

Jeffrey Watts jeffrey.w.watts at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 15:35:26 CET 2011

I think you misunderstand.  Those two plugins return WARNING or CRITICAL if
one of the two things occur:

1) If the ciscoEnvMonTemperatureState is not "normal".
2) If the passed -w and -c values are less
than ciscoEnvMonTemperatureStatusValue.

What I'm asking is why #2 is _required_.  I can understand it as an optional
check if you want to override the device's defaults, but not as mandatory
behavior.  Cisco devices are smart and know when they're warm or hot.
 That's the purpose of the ciscoEnvMonTemperatureState.  I'm just trying to
find out why folks feel that overriding Cisco's defaults is necessary
behavior.

Thanks,
Jeffrey.