Checking for live systems once every night.

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Wed Jan 19 13:00:53 CET 2011

On 18 January 2011 06:15, Toonz IT <it.toonz at gmail.com> wrote:

> We have added the checking time period in timeperiods.cfg file. and it is
> correctly showing in the Host State Information
>   Host Status:
>   UP
>  (for 0d 1h 41m 11s) Status Information:PING OK - Packet loss = 0%, RTA =
> 0.22 ms Performance Data:rta=0.221000ms;3000.000000;5000.000000;0.000000
> pl=0%;80;100;0 Current Attempt:1/10  (HARD state) Last Check Time:01-18-2011
> 10:00:00 Check Type:ACTIVE Check Latency / Duration:0.141 / 6.732 seconds Next
> Scheduled Active Check:  01-19-2011 10:00:00 Last State Change:01-18-2011
> 10:00:16 Last Notification:01-18-2011 10:00:16 (notification 0) Is This
> Host Flapping?
>   NO
>  (0.00% state change) In Scheduled Downtime?
>   NO
> Last Update:01-18-2011 11:41:22  ( 0d 0h 0m 5s ago)     Active Checks:
>   ENABLED
> Passive Checks:
>   ENABLED
> Obsessing:
>   ENABLED
> Notifications:
>   ENABLED
> Event Handler:
>   ENABLED
> Flap Detection:
>   ENABLED
>
> But we are getting notification every 30min, we have now edited the cofig
> file of the system and set notification to 720, as we need a notification
> only after every 12 hours. Hope this is the way to do it!!
>
> Please advice. *Our aim is to collect information on systems which has not
> been shutdown at 10pm every night when most employees have already left the
> studio.*

Nagios itself doesn't have a mechanism for scheduling a check to run once at
a specific time.

I would configure a check script in cron on your nagios server which runs
the check at 10pm each day and submits the result to Nagios as a passive
check (via NSCA or using the command interface whichever you prefer).

Another similar (but probably not so good) way to tackle this would be to
set up a script in the windows scheduler on each client PC which submits the
passive check back to Nagios using send_nsca.  I normally use a standalone
send_nsca binary for this, but I believe it would be possible to use the
nsca in NSClient++ instead.  With this method you may need to set up
freshness checking too so you can record when the PC is not active
overnight.

hth,

Jim