Check_hpjd

James Moseley jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com
Mon Jan 10 17:28:26 CET 2011

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 9:54 AM, Mister IT Guru <misteritguru at gmx.com>wrote:

>  I'm pretty sure that the SNMP on my printers is working. Is it included
> with this printer, because I specifically configured it, and looked out for
> SNMP support before ordering these printers, to use with Nagios. I know that
> my device returns data, because it does for snmp queries from the CLI. I
> would like to know, how I can get check_hpjd to be more verbose, or to log
> if that is possible?
>
> Thank You

Let me explain in a different way.  If you are querying your printer
manually with snmpwalk/snmpget and you are not getting the response you
expect, then the Nagios plugin you are trying to use will not work.  In
other words, this isn't a Nagios problem.

You stated earlier in this thread that your printer supports SNMP as
evidence that you were able to walk the standard MIB tree.  That's great,
but that doesn't mean that your hardware and current software supports the
SNMP MIB that the plugin is trying to use.

That's why I suggested making sure you have the latest firmware/SNMP support
from HP installed on the printer.

The plugin states that it works with HP printers that have JetDirect cards
installed.  Does yours?

Another step in your troubleshooting would be to look at the source code of
the check_hpjd plugin to see what MIB OID's it is using.  I believe that's
what a previous person on this thread did as they suggested a MIB-specific
OID for you to check.  If your printer doesn't support that OID, then the
check_hpjd plugin will not work and you will have to either a) get the
printer to support the MIB the plugin is using b) modify the plugin and
recompile it c) write your own plugin using the the SNMP MIB OID's your
printer supports.

--
James Moseley