Backing up Nagios on Ubuntu 10.04

Max Hetrick maxhetrick at verizon.net
Thu Jan 6 20:44:08 CET 2011

On 01/05/2011 05:39 PM, Max Schubert wrote:
> While a live back up is definitely a good idea, if you start storing
> your configuration tree in a version control system off server - CVS,
> GIT, SVN, any other one you choose - then the back up issue on the
> live server only becomes one of backing up retention.dat, which has
> changes you / your users have made to the states of notifications,
> flapping, etc from the CGIs or via the named pipe.

That's what we do at my employer, that is use SVN for the Nagios
configuration files. I still backup all data off-site for backup
purposes, though.

Where SVN comes into play for us is when every change has been made for
Nagios, there is a comment on the commit. This allows us to easily
navigate back knowing what changes were made, by whom, and what the date
was when the change occurred to the configs.

I'd still opt for backup of all the system files off-site, however, and
depending on your company, this may be policy for disaster recovery
anyways. But SVN can also serve as backup too. You can never have too
many, right. :)

Regards,
Max