first_notification_delay problem

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Thu Feb 10 18:24:38 CET 2011

Hi,

I'm having a problem with using first_notification_delay.  I'm not
sure if it's a bug or just that I don't understand how it's supposed
to work.

I have this passive service check to receive traps from a UPS:

define service {
        host_name       ups-a
        service_description     SNMP-Trap
        check_period    24x7
        check_command   check_nothing
        contact_groups  notify-Facilities_HQ
        notification_period     24x7
        initial_state   o
        check_interval  60.000000
        retry_interval  2.000000
        max_check_attempts      1
        is_volatile     0
        parallelize_check       1
        active_checks_enabled   0
        passive_checks_enabled  1
        obsess_over_service     0
        event_handler_enabled   1
        low_flap_threshold      0.000000
        high_flap_threshold     0.000000
        flap_detection_enabled  0
        flap_detection_options  o,w,u,c
        freshness_threshold     0
        check_freshness 0
        notification_options    w,c,r
        notifications_enabled   1
        notification_interval   720.000000
        first_notification_delay        10.000000
        stalking_options        w,c
        process_perf_data       0
        failure_prediction_enabled      1
        notes   If you need to reset status of this check back to OK,
submit a passive service check.
        retain_status_information       1
        retain_nonstatus_information    1
        }

I want Nagios only to send a notification if the service is in a
non-ok state for more than ten minutes.  In practice I find it sends a
notification regardless:

ups-a 	SNMP-Trap 	CRITICAL 	09-02-2011 07:07:41 	notify-Facilities_HQ
	notify-service-by-email 	upsOnBattery UPS: Switched to battery backup
power.
ups-a 	SNMP-Trap 	OK 	09-02-2011 07:07:41 	notify-Facilities_HQ
	notify-service-by-email 	powerRestored UPS: Returned from battery
backup power.

Is this a bug?  I tried looking in Nagios tracker (
http://tracker.nagios.org ) but couldn't find anything (then again I
rarely look there so might have done the search wrong).  Is Nagios
Tracker the right place to look for issues like this?

Cheers,

Jim