Nagios Optimization on CentOS

Daniel Wittenberg daniel.wittenberg.r0ko at statefarm.com
Tue Dec 27 22:26:15 CET 2011

Not at all, we're all here to help...

What are you using for your ping check?
What is the output from 'nagiostats'?

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: mpedersen at choopa.com [mailto:mpedersen at choopa.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 27, 2011 3:21 PM
To: Nagios Users List
Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] Nagios Optimization on CentOS

On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 12:25:07 -0500, <mpedersen at choopa.com> wrote:
> Please feel free to toot your own horn there. That's the sort of writeup
> needed, and I'll be reading it in a lot of detail today.

And now I will sound ungrateful. I've applied the tips in here, and still
others I've found online, but I'm still slower than I should be. From what
I can tell, this system should be able to execute a ping check for all 6000
servers in a minute, two tops. As of right now, I'm getting 4.5 minutes for
the entire check.

I've managed to get my system load to (on occasion) hit 3.3, but that's
it. CPU usage has remained close to constant. Network traffic is minimal
(2Mbit), and disk traffic is minimal (writing out 3Mbytes/second).

Any other ideas I can use?