problem with ping

Patricio López madpato.lopez at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 15:11:47 CET 2011

Hello

I am pretty new to nagios and i am trying to install this on a debian vps i
have to monitor 2 other boxes i have.

Ive compiled and installed everything fine, i can see my nagios
webinterface, but i have the following problem:

CRITICAL - Could not interpret output from ping command

I have an error that my host is down this is because the ping command is
not working. Here is some information:

If i do via shell this:

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_ping -H 127.0.0.1 -w 100.0,20% -c 500.0,60%
-p 5

I get the mentioned error. Even as root (so i believe its not a problem of
the nagios user or group).

Ive made some google research and found out that sometimes i needed to give
execution permissions to /bin/ping which i did, same results.

So this is what i have in cgi.cfg:

/bin/ping -n -U -c 5 $HOSTADDRESS$

And this is what i have in commands.cfg:

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_ping -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w $ARG1$ -c $ARG2$
-p 5

First one if i try in the command line works, second one does not.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.