monitor printer from Windows server

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Thu Dec 1 15:10:37 CET 2011

On 1 December 2011 12:39, James Osbourn <james.osbourn at citrix.com> wrote:
> I have a Windows 7 server acting as a print server and I would like to check the status of these printers and make sure that they are still online etc.
>
> I cannot seem to find a way of checking printers shared from a Windows machine, does anyone have any suggestions or references that I could use.
>
> Thanks
>
> James

I query the windows performance counter for number of print jobs
spooling.  If a printer breaks then usually this counter starts
ramping up quite rapidly as more and more print jobs get stuck in the
queue.

For example, the [external alias] section of your nsc.ini (assuming
you use NSClient++), you can have:-

alias_CheckCounter-PrintQJobs=CheckCounter "Counter:jobs=\Print
Queue(_Total)\Jobs" ShowAll MaxWarn=250 MaxCrit=500

Then your service definition would look something like this:-

define service {
        host_name                       printserver1,printserver2
        service_description             PrintQJobs
        use                             srv-pnp,generic-service
        check_command                   check_nrpe!-c PrintQJobs
        max_check_attempts              6
        check_interval                  15
        retry_interval                  5
        contact_groups                  notify-admins
        notes                           Records the number of Active
Jobs on a Print Server
        register                        1
}

And the command definition I use is just a generic one for any nrpe
check like so:-

define command {^M
        command_name                    check_nrpe
        command_line                    $USER1$/check_nrpe -H
$HOSTADDRESS$ -u $ARG1$
        register                        1
}

Our servers aren't quite as recent as Windows 7, but I guess the
counter would still be the same.

I hope that helps.

Jim