A Question on wwwrun account & httpd2-forks

steve f a31modela at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 28 15:32:32 CEST 2011

I am just starting to deploy my production nagios core environment and have a question on wwwrun & nagios.

I have a distributed environment, 12 remote sites ( so far) each with 6-10 local hosts , one of which is the nagios distributed server.

On my Nagios core server, I am looking at resources to see what the server is doing so I can plan out how many servers I ultimately need.  I notice that I have 11 httpd2-fork processes running constantly, each using .3% of memory.

Is the httpd2-prefork running only to allow external commands to be run from the web interface?  Since I am running in a distributed environment, and all my checks are passive, do I need this to be running and or part of the  nagcmd group?

If I were to go into the web interface console to put a service or host into scheduled downtime for example, aren't I making that change on the core server ?

Thanks,

Steve