Strange problem using the obsessive/compulsive service processor in Nagios Core 3.2.3

Eric Michaelis combinare at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 16:29:57 CEST 2011

Good morning!

We're having a strange issue trying to use the obsessive/compulsive
processor in Nagios. We're running Nagios Core 3.2.3, with Nagios plugins
version 1.4.15. In our previous production environment, we had encountered
issues with performance while using the NDO module, so we're trying to set
up an architecture like so:

Primary server:
Runs all active checks, and uses the mklivestatus broker for Nagvis maps and
other visualizations.
Uses the OCSP to send results of all active checks to the second server.

Secondary server:
Receives checks from the primary server.
Logs service check results to a MySQL database using NDO.

The problem comes when we enable the obsessive/compulsive options on the
primary. If we enable both the obsess_over_services and obsess_over_hosts
options, it takes it very literally: that's ALL Nagios does. All active
checks stop, and Nagios spends all of its time running the ocsp service and
host commands.

If we enable only the obsess_over_services option, active checks DO get
performed, but the scheduling queue and check latency starts to grow; with
the active checks falling farther and farther behind.

The primary Nagios server is a relatively powerful system, with 12 cores and
64 GB of RAM. The load average, even when it's only running the ocsp
commands, never rises above about 20 or 21, so it doesn't seem like the
server is being overwhelmed.

Presumably other folks are using the ocsp options successfully, so I'm
curious if anyone has seen anything like this and knows of a fix/workaround?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.