check_openmanage

Ashcor Technologies ashcor at optonline.net
Wed Apr 27 15:04:19 CEST 2011

> On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 5:06 AM, Trond Hasle Amundsen wrote:

> Ashcor Technologies <ashcor at optonline.net> writes:
>
>> ok, talked to dell, there is no hardware on the T105 that will allow
>> monitoring of the fan, voltage, etc.. basically the only thing you
>> can
>> monitor is the raid array which is fine as that's all I really want
>> check with nagios.
>
> Ok. I don't know the 100 series, but from what I understand they are
> entry-level servers with limited capabilities and a low price tag. The
> plugin will barf at servers that don't have the basic monitoring
> probes,
> unless they are absent for obvious reasons (e.g. blades don't have
> fans). I still think this is a good idea, as I've seen plenty of
> instances where OMSA malfunctions in such a way that it will say a
> probe
> doesn't exist when it actually does.
>
> I'm reluctant to change that policy, so users of the 100 series will
> have to exclude certain checks in the plugin. It is not ideal, but I
> believe the problem to be limited since most would go for servers with
> better monitoring capabilities (i.e. 200 series and beyond).
>
>> Still have that pesky timeout after 30 seconds error though.  tried
>> with --timeout 60 and with -t 60 and nothing seems to change the
>> behavior.
>
> Still weird. Did you try running the plugin manually with the timeout
> option? Try 'check_openmanage.exe -t 60 [other options]'
>
> Perhaps OMSA on the T105 hangs on some probe that doesn't exist. If
> you're only interested in monitoring storage, you could try:
>
>   check_openmanage.exe --only storage
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Trond H. Amundsen <t.h.amundsen at usit.uio.no>

ugh.. replied to the wrong email, my appologies everyone...

Trond,

I ran check_openmanage.exe --only storage locally and it worked fine.

I then changed the NSC.ini to have:

command[check_openmanage]=check_openmanage.exe --only storage

and restarted the NSCLient++ (x64) service in test mode.

the results:

d NSClient++.cpp(1106) Injecting: check_openmanage:
d NSClient++.cpp(1142) Injected Result: WARNING 'Problem running
'omreport chass is fans': Error! No fan probes found on this
system.<br/>Problem running 'omreport chassis temps': Error! No
temperature probes found on this system.<br/>Proble m running 'omreport
chassis volts': Error! No voltage probes found on this system.'

if I run checl_openmanage.exe --only storage manually I get:

c:\Program Files\NSClient++>check_openmanage.exe --only storage
STORAGE OK - 2 physical drives, 1 logical drives

very weird....

It's like the NSCLient++ process totally ignores the switches from the
command in the NSC.ini file.  Is there some way I can pass the options
via the Check_NRPE command from the host?  I've tried a few things but
it always error's out because NRPE sees them as unrecognized NRPE
options.

thanks again for all your help with this, you've been awesome!

Jeff