Freshness Checking not working correctly

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Thu Apr 21 12:01:45 CEST 2011

On 21 April 2011 01:51, Samuel Kidman <Samuel.Kidman at panres.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I've got this in my logs:
>

> [1303346647] Warning: The results of service 'Dummy Service' on host
> 'LFMISS1' are stale by 0d 0h 1m 0s (threshold=0d 0h 5m 0s).  I'm forcing
> an immediate check of the service.
> [1303346647] Warning: The results of service 'Dummy Service' on host
> 'PR-LNM-BCMF01' are stale by 0d 0h 1m 0s (threshold=0d 0h 5m 0s).  I'm
> forcing an immediate check of the service.
> [1303346647] Warning: The results of service 'Dummy Service' on host
> 'PR-LNM-BW-AV01' are stale by 0d 0h 1m 0s (threshold=0d 0h 5m 0s).  I'm
> forcing an immediate check of the service.
>

> Why  is Nagios forcing an active check before the freshness threshold
> runs out?

I've been seeing something that looks similar to that.

An example in my log is:

[1303254000] CURRENT SERVICE STATE:
xxxxxx;BACKUP;OK;HARD;1;backup_app: Completed with no errors.
[1303284031] Warning: The results of service 'BACKUP' on host 'xxxxxx'
are stale by 0d 0h 0m 52s (threshold=1d 2h 0m 0s).  I'm forcing an
immediate check of the service.

In my case, it seems Nagios thought the service was stale only 8 hours
or so after the previous passive check, whereas the freshness
threshold for this service is 93600 (26 hours).  I'm not sure why,
then, the warning message says it's stale by only 52s.

One thing I have done recently is to move the status.dat file from its
usual location to a ramdisk.  This has improved performance in the web
front end, but the web front end occasionally loses sight of the
services.  I wonder if the freshness checking also reads status.dat
and is having similar problems?  I expect I might have to back out the
change and move status.dat back to its original location on the ext3
filesystem.  Out of interest, have you moved any of your Nagios files
to a ramdisk?

I notice the Nagios documentation no longer makes any mention of
moving files to ramdisk to improve performance (if it ever did - I
can't seem to find the Nagios 2 documentation online any more).  If
anyone can shed any light on this I'd appreciate it.

For the record I'm using Nagios Core 3.2.3 on Ubuntu 08.04.01 LTS
Server, installed from tarballs, not packages.

Cheers,

Jim