nagios with mysql

Ton Voon tonvoon at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 10:53:47 CEST 2011

On 21 Apr 2011, at 08:32, Marco Borsani wrote:

> I am using Nagios since 2004 with all the configuration in the text files.
>
> Now, I’d like using mysql DB.
>
> I do not need a migration procedure, I just need to understand how to configure a Nagios to start with mysql DB.

If you create your own DB to hold all the relationships and information to create the nagios configuration files, you'll end up with Opsview (http://opsview.com)

We model the data in the "proper" way (http://labs.opsview.com/2011/04/managing-security-permissions-for-large-teams-in-opsview/) and then we generate the nagios configuration files appropriately, with distributed monitoring thrown in for free.

NagiosQL is mapping the Nagios configuration files into a sql database, which is okay, but try running queries to tell you what you want to know and you'll end up replicating Nagios' configuration algorithms to get the data you need.

While our demo site doesn't give you access to the mysql db, I'd recommend you download our latest VM and poke around the DB structures. There's an import script so if you supply your Nagios object.dat file, we'll do a good job at importing your information into Opsview's DB.

We've got users that now run DB queries against opsview to give them asset lists. We've got other users that have asset lists external to Opsview, but use the REST API (http://docs.opsview.com/doku.php?id=opsview-community:restapi) to update Opsview. All this is much easier by abstracting the Nagios specific information away.

Ton