Monitoring Bandwidth Question

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Tue Apr 19 10:57:57 CEST 2011

On 19 April 2011 00:33, David Barszcz <dbarszcz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need help monitoring bandwidth of my router. I am currently running nagios
> on Ubuntu and monitoring a router flashed with DD-WRT. My plan is to monitor
> the bandwidth throught MRTG. I seem to be having a problems creating a log
> file of router's Bandwidth to point to. This should be an easy one so a
> Litle guidance would appreciated.

If the router can accept SNMP queries then you should be able to use
http://nagios.manubulon.com/snmp_int.html and rather than use MRTG I
would recommend PNP4Nagios as this can get the performance data from
Nagios.

Note that check_snmp_int.pl will write temporary files to keep a
record of counters so be careful of ownership and permissions when
testing.   Also, you need to specify the 64-bit counters otherwise
they wrap round back to zero too frequently.

hth,

Jim