Nagios from master/slave to chained configuration

Guy wyldfury at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 14:00:15 CEST 2011

Hi,

I'm new to Nagios, but have been asked to add another Nagios server to
our current configuration. Our current setup has a master Nagios
server (master-nagios1) and a slave (slave-nagios1) that monitors a
different part of the network. There are also 2 other standalone
master servers (nagios-master2 and 3) monitoring their own networks.

I've been asked to add another overview Nagios. So all it's checks set
to passive and the 3 masters replicate to the overview Nagios server.
Connecting the 2 standalone masters to the overview Nagios seems
simple enough as a normal master/slave config, but I'm not certain
whether the master/slave setup can be chained with the overview
Nagios.

My googlefu hasn't given me any answers but I'm assuming that if it's
possible, I should set up master-nagios1 with ocdp/nsca/send-nsca so
it's got the configuration of a master and a slave. So slave-nagios1
replicates to master-nagios1 which in turn replicates to the overview
Nagios.

Is anyone aware of obvious problems with the idea or know of any
documentation covering this sort of configuration? The things I did
find were all simple master/slave set ups.

Thanks
Guy

--
Don't just do something...sit there!