"alias" host configuration not interpreted since 3.2.2

Mark D. Nagel mnagel at willingminds.com
Wed Apr 13 18:58:36 CEST 2011

On 3/14/2011 7:50 AM, Dennis Kuhlmeier wrote:
> just noticed that I couldn't change the alias value in an existing
> host definition.
>
> $HOSTALIAS$ just remained on the old value although the web
> interface showed the current setting.
>
> I built myself a little test setup and just returned $HOSTALIAS$ as
> a check-result and could confirm that in Nagios Core 3.2.1
> $HOSTALIAS$ changed without error when changing the alias
> definition, since version 3.2.2 change is impossible.
>
> Thanks for a fix in an upcoming version.

We have just diagnosed this problem as well.  It seems to be due to this
"fix" released with 3.2.2:

* Fix for retaining host display name and alias, as well as service
display name (Folkert van Heusden)

Sadly, the additional retained attributes have no corresponding mask
bits to use in the retained_host_attribute_mask setting, and there is no
justification provided for incorporating this change, just that one
line.  No UI I've seen lets you change these values (though one could
exist I'm sure). The result is, whatever value those fields had are kept
forever in the retention file regardless of what you change them to in
the actual configuration.  The only solution I can see is to stop
Nagios, edit the retention file and start Nagios.  There may be a string
you can send to the command pipe to change those (one would hope that is
the case), but I agree with you -- this "fix" needs to be pulled from
the code.

Mark

--
Mark D. Nagel, CCIE #3177 <mnagel at willingminds.com>
Principal Consultant, Willing Minds LLC (http://www.willingminds.com)

*** For faster support response time, please use
*** support at willingminds.com or call 714-495-4000