A question on using a wildcard in a hostgroup.cfg file

steve f a31modela at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 13 17:36:18 CEST 2011

I am trying to simplify my admin work for a large deployment we are doing right now of Nagios 3.2 Core in a SuSE Linux environment

I have multiple hostgroups set up and wanted to use a wildcard in the member name since all of the devices that will be in a hostgroup are named the same except for the actual location part of the name.

If I have each remote server listed explicitly ion the hostgroup file uder members, everything is fine.

I turned on use_true_regexp_matching and use_regexp_matching and added this to my hostgroup.cfg file:

define hostgroup{

        hostgroup_name         Remote_servers

        alias                  Remote Servers

        members              *sa

        }

I then did a verify of the nagios config & it replied with this:

Error: Could not find any host matching '*sa' (config file '/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/hostgroups.cfg', starting on line 47)
Error: Could not expand members specified in hostgroup (config file '/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/hostgroups.cfg', starting on line 47)

I tried multiple variations with wildcards both "?" and "*" to no avail.

If I STARTED the members list with the 1st couple of letters of the name of the hosts or just put only a  "  *  " there, it works.

Can anyone explain why I cant do this

str*sa  or str????sa   or *sa     but I can do str*     or "  *  "

All of the hosts are named as such :

strXXXXsa  - were XXXX is a 4 digit number for the server location

Thanks,

Steve