Nagios PPA for Ubuntu

Tony Yarusso tyarusso at nagios.com
Thu Sep 30 00:36:22 CEST 2010

Hey all, I wanted to let you know about something I've been fiddling
with.  As we all know, compiling programs from source has the advantage
of always giving you the most up to date version, but isn't as
convenient to maintain, whereas using package repositories is easy to
administer but sometimes out of date.

Launchpad.net provides a service called "Personal Package Archives",
where you can build and host packages for Ubuntu, for testing,
small-userbase mods, etc.  What I've done is take the existing
Ubuntu/Debian packages, insert the most recent upstream tarball, and
rebuild.  Theoretically this should produce an up-to-date package.  So,
if you like having "the latest and greatest", but also like to have APT
manage everything, this might be a solution that could work for you.

That said, I do want to make sure nobody gets the wrong idea here, so a
few clarifications:
1)  The only QA I've done on these is that it builds and installs
without errors and gives the default screen properly checking localhost
services.
2)  This is not actually supported by Nagios, Inc. for support contract
customers, nor is it guaranteed to continue to exist - it's a pet
project to see if this would work, since many of our staff use Ubuntu.
3)  This is only build for Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" at the moment.  I
haven't made any attempts to build on or backport to older releases.
4)  Launchpad doesn't actually support building packages for Debian,
although given the close freeze dates of Lucid and Squeeze it's highly
likely it will work on both I think.
5)  Obviously this is only for Debian-based distros - I'm not going to
attempt anything similar for the Red Hat family or anything else at this
time.

So, if you'd like to pull up a test system to try Nagios 3.2.2 and
Nagios Plugins 1.14.15, check it out at
https://launchpad.net/~nagiosinc/+archive/ppa , and let me know if it
works for you.

--