can't get host to display in Host Detail panel

Assaf Flatto nagios at flatto.net
Wed Sep 29 14:47:44 CEST 2010

> Assaf - thanks for your time and patience outlining those steps:

That is what the list is about .

> I was able to at least get the connectivity between Nagios server and
> the monitored host to show a valid connection:
>
> /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H 10.0.100.139 -c check_users
> USERS OK - 1 users currently logged in |users=1;5;10;0
>
> there were a few things wrong on the monitoring server, or at least
> what I changed:
>
> * changed ownership of nrpe.cfg to nagios.nagios
> * modified xinetd.d/nrpe to show Nagios server IP as allowed connection
>
> I struggled with a few other things, and connection attempts, before I
> realized I hadn't restarted the nrpe service after modifying the
> xinetd.d/nrpe file.
>
> I did notice that the plugin location from another server is different
> than the one that is missing:
> /*/usr/lib64/nagios/plugins*/ vs //*usr/local/nagios/libexec/*/
>  (guess this has something to do with the way it was compiled)

NRPE by default is placing the path as the lib64  in the nrpe.cfg sample
file , while all other  packages use the local path - this is something
that you get used to "ignore-modify " with time .
> Guess I have to wait now a few mins before the host shows in the
> panel? as its not showing now even after 10 mins.  Restarting xinetd
> shows this in /var/log/messages:
>
> *xinetd[22518]: bind failed (Address already in use (errno = 98)).
> service = nrpe (*is this a bug or anything in xinetd? I saw that
> referenced on a few other forums)
>
> nrpe service is running and listening though on 5666
I have always run nrpe as a stand alone daemon , never with xinetd , to
have better control on what is running and how it is run .

 From what i remember about xinetd , it has an internal "keep-alive"
mechanism that waits till all connections are terminated before it
releases a port (again , i may be wrong ) you  need to stop it and wait
till the port is no longer shown as active , and then restart it .

Or move to a standalone daemon - that will allow you to control the nrpe
separately from any other service and  better debug the issue.

--
Never,Ever Cut A Deal With a Dragon

Next year I will be doing the London to Paris bike ride to
raise money for the DogTrust (www.dogstrust.co.uk) .
Please Sponsor me at http://www.justgiving.com/Assaf-Flatto