can't get host to display in Host Detail panel

Jonathan Wiggins jwiggins at salon.com
Tue Sep 28 21:51:22 CEST 2010

On Sep 28, 2010, at 2:23 AM, Assaf Flatto wrote:

> Jonathan , lets take this from the top .
>
> You are trying to test on a remote server the amount of logged in users - that is done via nrpe .
> To test that is working you need to follow 3 major steps
> 1) make sure NRPE is installed and running on the remote machine . And accepting connections from the main nagios server *
> 2) make sure you have the nagios plugins installed on the remote machine .*
> 3) make sure the nrpe commands definitions point to the correct location of the plugins .
>

> once you followed the first 2 steps , you can test to see if the nrpe works by issuing the following  command on the nagios server
>
> "/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H <host_ip> -c check_users "
>
> If every thing is working - you should get the OK or any other result matching your criteria .
>
> If you get an error - about can not execute the command - log on to the remote host and recheck step 3.
>

> * read relevant documentation on http://www.nagios.org

Assaf - thanks for your time and patience outlining those steps:

I was able to at least get the connectivity between Nagios server and the monitored host to show a valid connection:

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H 10.0.100.139 -c check_users
USERS OK - 1 users currently logged in |users=1;5;10;0

there were a few things wrong on the monitoring server, or at least what I changed:

* changed ownership of nrpe.cfg to nagios.nagios
* modified xinetd.d/nrpe to show Nagios server IP as allowed connection

I struggled with a few other things, and connection attempts, before I realized I hadn't restarted the nrpe service after modifying the xinetd.d/nrpe file.

I did notice that the plugin location from another server is different than the one that is missing:
/usr/lib64/nagios/plugins vs /usr/local/nagios/libexec/  (guess this has something to do with the way it was compiled)

Guess I have to wait now a few mins before the host shows in the panel? as its not showing now even after 10 mins.  Restarting xinetd shows this in /var/log/messages:

xinetd[22518]: bind failed (Address already in use (errno = 98)). service = nrpe (is this a bug or anything in xinetd? I saw that referenced on a few other forums)

nrpe service is running and listening though on 5666